Be the Best Owner While Leaving a Puppy Alone
- Reading Time: 5 minutes
Leaving a puppy alone calls for some thoughtful measures.. But try to limit it to no more than 4 hours in an average. In case your puppy is below 8 weeks, this time comes down to 2 hours. You can gradually scale up your separation time. Here comes several issues such as age, potty breaks, exercise, interaction or loneliness, separation anxiety, etc. With a little one, you may relax a bit as he is going to sleep for 16-18 hours or so per day.
A careful plan will save you from a lot of hassles. Now, we are going to break the whole thing down to bits and pieces. The first three months is always crucial for proper upbringing. You are going to teach him that separation is better for both of you. His occasional loneliness is just fine
What does a dog do when left alone in a bad state?
Dogs like to remain busy when you leave them. Their work schedule may appear like this list.
01. They roughen up and bite your furniture and chew anything they think fit.
02. They may go on an adventure on their own. This is not good at all.
03. They bark or howl at everything and show no sign of stopping.
04. Dogs whine or whimper for almost all day.
05. Your whole place turns into a one big dog toilet.
What should you do with your dog before you leave?
These general instructions will help you pace up your effective controlling of the dog.
01. Get a good exercise for the dog. A tired dog is always a good dog. This is the key factor.
02. Do not make a dazzling show off while leaving or returning home. It gives a bad signal.
03. Arrange someone for taking timely care.
04. The dog must consider the crate his safe abode.
05. Make his living place as comfortable as possible.
How long does your fur baby sleep?
Sleeping routine of your dog has a great bearing on your leaving plan. Get them habituated to a plan that suits you. An adult and active dog sleeping pattern varies in both length and depth.
Here, you have a bit more relaxing opportunity as your dog is supposed to know the basics of potty rules. But loneliness is always loneliness. You have to give him a job or some ideas to accomplish before you come back.
Which technique applies well to a puppy?
At a very tender age, they will sleep for 16-18 hours. You can wake them up at morning and feed as well play for a little time. It will further tire them out and cause deep sleep. You can go for office and comeback. You may even find out that they are still sleeping for quite a while after you have reached home.
After 12 weeks, this tendency gets curtailed and you might need to attend to their needs at a 2 hour break. You can either come back at lunch or contact a dog sitter or a family member.
What is their required bathroom schedule?
Age is the biggest factor while you are considering leaving your puppy alone. Up to 12 weeks, they can hold up their bathroom requirement up to 2 hours. During their 4-6 month, you can apply the golden one hour rule. This rule says that a dog can hold it tight for another hour after each month as a 4 month old puppy can go for 4 hours without peeing. With the passage of time, their bladder gets larger and they learn the basics of controlling it as well.
An adult dog or a puppy above 6 months of age can manage it for about 6 hours without a break. You might have to adjust this time frame based on the size and habit of your dog. Remember that young dogs need too much care and attention for perfect growth.
Bathroom training is not enough. You have to take him out regularly for socialization and exercise. They have left their family to stay with you. Their family would have taken care of those needs. But it is your turn. Show them your love.
But a little separation, at this age, is going to benefit them as well. They will learn that you will come back and you are not gone for good. They will grow up adjusting in an environment where you are absent.
Should I crate a puppy before leaving?
Yes, you can crate him if you know exactly when you are going to return. Moreover, the timing should match with a-month-an-hour rule. You can crate him for 5 hours if he is 5 month old.
But the practice should start at the earliest possible time. Otherwise, sudden caging, at an older age, will backfire immensely. No hour based golden rule will suffice unless you introduce him with it at a young age. Crate is the ultimate dog space.
Nobody enters it except the puppy. So, he can find his true palace inside it. He can use this time for himself alone and must not be bothered too often. Teach him to enjoy this time making it playful giving access to some toys. He can also sleep or rest without any outer disturbance.
At the beginning of the training-
At the initial stage of leaving a puppy alone, you can apply several techniques.
01. Go out for small tasks. It will teach your puppy that you go out but also come back shortly.
02. Give him plenty of rewards such as toys, treats and praises for going inside of it.
03. Step by step you can scale up your absence time.
04. Excessive crating has negative impacts too. If your dog is bound to do his natural order into the crate, he might consider it to be his place of discharge for a long time to come.
05. You can also use dog pens or barriers. Have a robust one so that the dog cannot spoil it.
For a better understanding of the crate issue, we are going to present you with a chart.
8-10 weeks—-30-60 minutes
11-14 weeks—–1-3 hours
15 an above—— 3-4 hours. (source; rover)
No dog should be retained inside the crate for more than 9 hours. Excessive daytime crating has its bad effects. Your puppy may grow up with a separation anxiety. Again, there is always the possibility of a potty accident especially in case of a dog younger than 6 months. At this age, they need a break in the middle part of the day.
Crate training meets two basic ends at the same time. You can relax as he is safe while you are away. Besides, it comes to a great aid in potty training.
What is the role of toys and treats in keeping him busy?
Arrange food, treats, toys while leaving a puppy alone for a long time. We are going to place a detailed account of these choices for you to pick up the right one.
02. You can also hide the treat challenging your dog to find it out.
03. Puzzle toys are also great for a quality time pass.
04. You have to be careful about leaving the toys with the dog. They might tear it apart and gobble up a part. This is an alarming situation for you. So, double check for safety guarantees.
06. The focus point is to keep the dog busy. So, you can also devise a workable plan for your lovely puppy.
07. If you fail to manage someone for overall care, you may want to have Pet cube. It allows two way audio communication with video support. Mitigating anxiety and distress can be the other issues to go for it.
We believe the dog will keep away from making a fuss if you can apply these methods. Moreover, the first six months will prove to be the most important segment of his life. Indeed, patience is the key to solving many problems. We have now realized that leaving a puppy alone can be a useful aspect for a greater future of the dog. With proper execution, you can enjoy your dog company sans barking, separation anxiety or severe problems.